|Document ID:2005010413471925 |
How to install the Ghost Console
|Situation:||You want to know how to install the Ghost on a server.|
|Solution:||This document describes the steps required to install the Symantec Ghost Console to a server computer. |
There are a number of ways to install Symantec Ghost depending on how you want to use it and the setup of the computer on which it is being installed. Symantec Ghost includes five software packages that are described below:
- Symantec Ghost Console: Install on the server computer from which you plan to remotely back up, restore, clone, and configure other workstations. Installs all components of Symantec Ghost on the server except for the Console client and AI Snapshot.
- Symantec Ghost Console client: Install on your workstations to enable communication among your workstations and the Symantec Ghost Console.
WARNING: Symantec does not recommend or support installing the Ghost Console Client to a Server based computer. Running a Console task on the server computer that has the Ghost Console Client installed may cause bootup problems. If this occurs, a reinstallation of the OS on the server computer may be required.
- Symantec Ghost Configuration Client (Stand-alone): Install on a workstation that is not to be managed by the Symantec Ghost Console. Install this client to apply configuration settings after a restore or clone using Ghost.exe. For more information on the Configuration Client, see the Symantec Ghost Reference Guide.
- Symantec Ghost Standard Tools: Install when the Console is not required. Install all components of Symantec Ghost except for the Console server and client.
- AutoInstall: Install on the computer on which you want to create packages to install applications. To install the Symantec Ghost AutoInstall feature, insert the Symantec Ghost Solution Suite 1.0 CD into the CD drive and select "DeployCenter and other Tools." For more information on getting started with AutoInstall, see the Symantec Ghost Reference Guide.
For information on how to install the other Symantec Ghost components, refer to Chapter 3 of the Symantec Ghost Implementation Guide. The Symantec Ghost Implementation Guide is also available on the Symantec Ghost Solution Suite 1.0 and Symantec Ghost 8.0 CD in the \Ghost\Documentation folder.
Supported operating systems
The Symantec Ghost Console supports the following operating systems:
- Windows 2000 Professional/Server SP4
- Windows XP Professional
- Windows Server 2003 Standard/Enterprise
- Vista (Ghost Solution Suite 2.0.x and 2.5)
- Windows Server 2..8 (Ghost Solution Suite 2.5 only)
Note: Symantec recommends that you install the latest service packs available from Microsoft.
To install the Symantec Ghost Console
The Symantec Ghost Console must be installed by someone with administrator rights on the Console computer. When you install the Symantec Ghost Console, the Standard Tools are automatically installed.
Note: The user name, company name, email address, and serial number that you enter during installation are used in the registration process.
- Insert the Symantec Ghost CD into the CD-ROM drive.
- In the Symantec Ghost Solution Suite installation window, click Install Symantec Ghost Corporate Edition.
- Click Install Console and Standard Tools.
- In the Symantec Ghost Server 8.2 - InstallShield Wizard dialog box, click Next.
- Accept the terms of the license agreement, then click Next.
- Read the licensing information, check I have read and understood the above information, then click Next.
- In the User Information window, verify that the user and organization names are correct.
- In the Email Address field, type the email address to which the registration file should be sent. This must be a valid and working email address.
- In the Serial Number field, type the serial number from your Symantec Ghost certificate.
- Click Next.
- In the Destination Folder dialog box, do one of the following:
- Confirm the installation location.
- To select a different installation location, click Change.
- Click Next.
- In the Custom Setup window, click Next.
- In the Symantec Ghost Console Service Account Registration dialog box, click Next. If required, change the Console Service Account Password to increase security.
- Click Install.
Registering Symantec Ghost 8.3 or earlier:
After installing the Symantec Ghost Console, you must register Symantec Ghost. Until you register Symantec Ghost, your use of the Console is restricted.
For new unregistered installations:
- You can run the Console for no more than 30 days after installation.
- You can have a maximum of 10 clients attached to the Console.
If you are upgrading from a previous version of Symantec Ghost, you can attach the existing number of clients to the Console for a period of 30 days.
A registered version of Symantec Ghost tracks the number of client computers attached to the Console, and informs you when you have installed 90% of the licensed clients.
To register Symantec Ghost
There are three steps required in registering Symantec Ghost. The steps are:
- Generate a registration file.
- Obtain a validation key.
- Enter the validation key.
Generating a registration file
A registration file is generated in one of two ways:
- By entering the registration information, including a user name, email address, and a serial number in the User Information dialog box during installation.
- By generating a registration file manually after installing the Symantec Ghost Console. The registration file, Ghostreg.dat, is saved in the folder in which Symantec Ghost is installed.
Obtaining a validation key
Once you have generated the registration file, email the file to Symantec to receive a validation key. To obtain a validation key, email Ghostreg.dat to email@example.com. Email the file as an attachment and do not include any text in the email. Symantec will return a validation key to the email address entered when the registration file was generated. A validation key is usually returned within
Entering a validation key
Once you have received the validation key from Symantec, follow these steps to complete the registration process:
- On the Console server, on the Windows taskbar, click Start > Programs > Symantec Ghost > Ghost Console.
- On the Help menu, click Register Console.
- In the Validation Key field, type the validation key that you received in the email from Symantec.
- Click OK.
The Symantec Ghost Console is now registered for the number of licensed clients.
To Register Ghost 11.0.x
Follow the instructions in this document: http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/on-technology.nsf/docid/2007100115465260?Open&seg=ent
To Register Ghost 11.5:
Note: In Ghost Solution Suite 2.5 (which includes Ghost 11.5) we have changed our licensing procedure. We no longer accept legacy licensing. Once you have installed Ghost 11.5 Console, you will need to get a new license file (.slf) and add it to Ghost with the instructions below:
- Run Symantec Ghost Console.
- In the Ghost Console window, click on the Help menu.
- Click Register Console.
- In the Symantec Ghost Registration window, click on the Browse button.
- In the Open window, navigate to and select the license file (.slf) to use.
- Click on the Open button.
- Click on the OK button. The license key is activated.
|Document ID:2005010413471925 |